Friday, March 20, 2015

Take Me Back to Chicago . . .

Little did I know that this patch from my dad, given to me over thirty years ago, would have so much meaning.....

I was born in Arlington Heights, Illinois.  And, even though I lived there a short time, there has always been loyalty to Chicago...especially the sports teams...Da Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, and even though the rivalry with the White Sox and the Cubs, we liked them both!

About 40 years ago, my mom made a monumental choice....a choice that saved my life.

A few years before my mom had given birth to my best friend, and sister, and had been told she would never be able to have another child, but God had another plan.  She became pregnant with me while on a prescription medication.  The doctor shared with her that due to that medication, I would not be a value to this world...I would be born deformed and possibly have mental issues and should abort me.  Those words shutter through my bones 40 years later.  My mom chose me...

And as my mom made a choice to save my life, we again are returning to Chicago to make another choice at saving Patrick's life and his childhood.  As my sister says, "it has come full circle."

In May, we will head to Lurie Children's Hospital for a final evaluation for Patrick.  We will spend 2-3 days in evaluation to see if his body can withstand the 6-8 hour surgery.  If the doctor feels we can move forward we will make Chicago our home for the next month.   They would graft a part of his jugular vein and then place it to allow the blood to flow back into the liver from the spleen and stomach/intestines.  We will commit to visit Chicago every three months for a year, every 6 months for 2 years and then yearly visits.

I never thought I would return to Chicago...and the road has been hard...but we welcome the journey with hope in our hearts!




No comments:

Post a Comment